Monday, May 22, 2017

Reflections on Our Week(s)

Again, it's been several weeks since I've last posted. I've had good reason - we've been moving around towns and hotel rooms for the past few weeks. I'm very ready to get into a rental home and out of hotels! That should be less than two weeks from now. This has been like one long vacation, and I'm ready to go home! :-)

We have had the opportunity to see some beautiful parts of Pennsylvania, though. Right now, we're outside of Hershey, Pennsylvania. Rod had the day off Saturday, so we went to the Hershey Amusement Park. The three younger kids and I stayed for about four hours, riding rides and walking around. Unfortunately, it was cold and drizzling rain, so we left earlier than Rod, Mikaela and Eli. They stayed until closing (10 pm!) riding roller coasters over and over. They had a blast!
They thought it was fun to "meet" the candy-bars!

Another thing I'm getting tired of is eating out. We eat out all the time! I didn't realize I would miss cooking this much. I can't wait to get into a kitchen again! I have so many meals planned in my head to cook!
A nice breakfast at a nice hotel.

We are also ready to get back to schoolwork. The kids even miss it, although they won't readily admit it. Our routine has been thrown upside down these past three or four weeks. I've been printing, planning, and organizing for our new school year. We are going to be using a family curriculum for the older three (more on this later!). We will still be very Charlotte Mason inspired, as this lifestyle works for us. Silas and Titus will continue to use My Father's World. My kids have really missed schooling together, and honestly, I have missed it, too. It keeps things much more simple. Mikaela, being in 9th grade, will have a much heavier reading load than Eli and Mercie, but we will all be on the same page, spending more of our days together.
Mikaela and Eli at Hershey Park

Mikaela is in 9th grade, so I'm trying to get all of her classes and credits lined up. So far, this is what it's going to be:
  • American History (1 credit)
  • General Science (1 credit)
  • English (1 Credit) - this will consist of daily grammar and writing lessons
  • Algebra 1  (1 Credit)
  • Home-Economics (1 Credit) - she does this daily
  • Typing (1/2 Credit) - daily, but only about 20 minutes
  • Spanish (1/2 Credit) - daily using Rosetta Stone
  • P.E. and Health (1/2 Credit) - P.E. will be daily, with a weekly health lesson for her
  • Fine Arts (1/2 Credit) - this will be done twice weekly as a family
As of now, she is planning to go to Cosmetology school, but I want to have a really nice transcript ready in case she wants to go to college. I would much rather my kids go to a trade school and learn a skill they can use, as this is a much cheaper, quicker, and more practical option. However, if they want to be a lawyer, doctor, or teacher, college will be the route we take. I plan to write a post of my opinions on this topic sometime soon.

Mercie was too small for the big rides, and almost too big for the little rides. She still had a blast with her little brothers!
 
I have so many fun art projects lined up for when we start school again, so my 100 Days of Art Series will be worked on. Very excited for some of these!


Rod and I celebrated our anniversary on the 13th. We went out to dinner alone while a family friend (who works for Rod) sat with the kids at the motel. Mikaela does baby-sit for us, but I was uncomfortable with the area we were in. There were lots of people at the motel that made me uneasy, so I felt better with our friend being there! He took the kids to dinner, and Rod and I got to eat alone - a rarity! I also went to Wal-Mart and got my anniversary/mother's day present - a new wireless printer!

I can't wait to begin posting again about our actual schoolwork. How have you been?

6 comments:

  1. We love Hershey Pennsylvania! I can understand the desire to have your own kitchen and schooling routine back; I too find that after just a few weeks I miss that. Thanks for sharing with us at Love to Learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a creature of habit, so not having our normal routine has not been easy!

      Delete
  2. So glad that you were able to have a date night! I always have a hard time leaving the kids, but it's nice that you were able to find an adult you trusted to put your mind at ease as you enjoyed dinner.

    We might be visiting upstate New York this summer and will be driving through Hershey. I've never been there, but it looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hershey is a really neat area! Rod and I do not get enough time alone, but that's just part of having a big family - and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. And I thought I was busy with a move, ha! Here you are moving, moving, moving.

    Happy Anniversary. I sure would love to meet you and your beautiful family someday.

    Hey, if you don't mind waiting till the end of June or beginning of July I'll be happy to send you Real Science 4 Kids grades 5-8. The only thing I don't have is the lesson plans but everything else your welcome to have. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Yes, I would love to have it, and I don't mind waiting at all! We are always moving around, and it is exhausting. We even bought a new house and land at home in Louisiana, so when we go home this winter, we will be moving again!

      Good to hear from you. I've missed your posts .

      Delete