Thursday, March 23, 2017

Jettison the Junk

The word jettison means to abandon or discard something. When I titled this post "Jettison the Junk", I'm referring to getting rid of all of the stuff that encumbers our homeschooling.

There are so many things these days that we think we much add to our day to ensure our children are "learning enough", "doing enough", and that we aren't "failing them". You know what I'm talking about! When we read what other homeschool families are doing, we tend to compare our family with theirs. "My kids aren't doing XYZ" and "Maybe we should ABC like they do" overwhelm our thoughts. We become unsatisfied with our homeschool, our family, our life. We buy more curriculum, more books, more games, more stuff - until we are crowding our days with junk we don't need. One more workbook, one more math drill, one more program - it becomes superfluous.

There are also so many things these days that junk up our children's minds - television, iPads, X-box, Wii, computers, and cell phones. Children are constantly "plugged in" to something. Everywhere I go, I see children playing on cell phones or hand-held devices. I no longer see children reading books while waiting at the doctor's office; instead, they are playing mindless games on their cell phones. This junk, or twaddle as Charlotte Mason would have called it, is dumbing our children down and wasting precious time and even more precious minds.

My children do not have cell phones, iPads, or any video games. They are the odd ones out when it comes to this. My 14 year and 11 year olds are the only kids we know their age who don't have cell phones or video games. And I'm totally fine with that! Instead, they read books - actual books they hold in their hands and turn the pages. They ride bikes, play outside, draw and color, make up imaginative games, and even have time to be bored.

Even the television shows that are geared to our children are twaddle - they are foolish cartoons that offer no educational value or enrichment for our children. I have quit letting my children watch television shows like SpongeBob and Teen Titans. I was embarrassed to even watch it. Cartoons, in general, are nonsensical. And now they are not allowed in my house.

The media is trying to dumb us down. I won't stand for it.

I am burdened by what I see all around me. The generation of children that is rising up scares me. These will be the future of our families, our communities, our country.

I implore you to unplug your family. Jettison the junk that is clouding our lives. Get rid of everything that is crowding your homeschool day. Find joy in reading good books with your children.

A Net In Time Schooling

9 comments:

  1. I totally agree. It's so easy to hand them technology and not to encourage them to use their God given mind to explore and make their own adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I decided not to even give them (or us) the temptation of cell phones or video games. It does become so easy to abuse technology.

      Delete
    2. Like your family, we don't have video games or cell phones. A lot of people sometimes act funny around my 13 year old son. My ds also enjoys the outdoors. Good thing since we live in the country. I tease him last week for using my cell to listen to Tchaikovsky's Marche of the Slav. He's practicing for his piano lessons. I told him anyone that saw him wouldn't guess that's what he was doing. My ds also prefers talking with people older than him, because he says his peers are brain dead. It's so good to read that there are more homeschooled kids that use their minds for good.

      Delete
    3. It is nice to "know" another family that doesn't allow cell phones. We really feel like the odd ones out! My children don't mind being teased a little. It's part of the territory when you're a Christian, anyway!

      Delete
  2. We have the "junk" here. I have come to hate it. And I don't use that word lightly. I watched my son get sucked into the games at a time when I was busy and that was easy. Since then we have set up rules. They have to complete so many other things before I will allow the games. Games do not come to the doctor or other appointments anymore and I have to say, we have found some great books while we sit in the waiting room! I love the path we are heading on, knowing that we have the control over the junk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that you recognized it and made the changes necessary for your family! Children don't have the opportunity to find good books these days because everything else demands their attention - phones, games, computers, social media. When kids are left with none of that, they naturally are drawn to books.

      Delete
  3. Unlike you, i dobt consider it junk, i consider it another way to teach balance in life. One reads. One plays. One spends time with God. One works. Fit them all in and balance it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is, there is not much balance these days. There is no moderation. And video games and television numb the mind. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Thanks for your opinion, Annette! :-)

      Delete
  4. I recently introduced my husband to the word twaddle. He laughed and we agreed it was certainly fitting to a lot of entertainments these days.

    ReplyDelete