Tuesday, March 21, 2017

A Middle School Charlotte Mason History

This year, I have an 11 year old 7th grader and a 14 year old 9th grader. I began this school year with a curriculum so opposite of everything Charlotte Mason, and it failed miserably. We tried Bob Jones with the DVDs for all 6 subjects - and it bombed. The kids finished around 70 days of the 180 days planned, but we burned out on it. It was so much busy-work, so much textbook, so much boring... I want my kids to love learning like they did when we were homeschooling Charlotte Mason style.

This is what we will be doing. It will count as 1 American History credit for Mikaela, my 9th grader.

"The Light and The Glory for Young Readers" will be our first history spine. This book covers American history from 1492-1787. There are several more books in this series that go through 1860. We will use these in order, adding lots of living books and rich biographies as we go along. The first books we will be adding are on Christopher Columbus: "Christopher Columbus: Across the Ocean Sea (Heroes of History)" and "Christopher Columbus: Adventurer of Faith and Courage".

They will read, of course, and do oral and written narrations along with map work and notebooking (which they love to do). We will be using a simple, five subject notebook for their work, as they prefer working on lined paper. I am making a weekly schedule, and I'm making it week-by-week. I don't want to plan ahead too much, where we are rushing through each book. I want to give my children the opportunity to "linger pleasantly" in each book.

I will post every book title we read with "The Light and The Glory", along with examples of their written narration and notebooking pages.



No comments:

Post a Comment